The George Institute (‘TGI’) employs 600+ people, focused on improving the health of millions of people worldwide. As a medical research institute affiliated with leading universities and with projects in approximately 50 countries, we are challenging the status quo in healthcare to find the best ways to prevent and treat chronic disease and injury, and to influence policy and practice worldwide. Our innovative commercial enterprises help maximise our impact.
Here is a sample of the things we are doing to achieve our goal of having the greatest possible impact on global health:
- We are identifying better and safer treatments for our biggest killers like stroke, heart disease and high blood pressure;
- In many countries, our award winning FoodSwitch smartphone app is helping people make healthy food choices when shopping;
- In China, we ran a successful education and awareness program to reduce the amount of salt eaten by people by 25% each day, potentially saving up to 125,000 lives a year;
- In rural India, we have shown that mobile technology can help diagnose mental health, as well as help treat cardiovascular disease, and we’re looking at similar approaches to treating chronic diseases in Indonesia and China;
- Together with Aboriginal communities in NSW, Australia, we have developed an innovative community led program to assist young Aboriginal drivers attain their license, now implemented in a dozen of locations;
- We are developing an affordable dialysis machine, with potential to save millions of lives each year and transform the way kidney disease is treated globally.